Friday, August 30, 2013

Wait Until Dark

It is a dark, stormy night and I have lost my way home. I look ahead and see a dark gaping hole in the rock face. My instinct takes over and draws me towards it. Am I drawn in by the instinct to survive in all odds? Am I drawn in by a deep need to feel safe and secure? Am I drawn in by the mystery of exploring something that I don't know? Am I on a mission to find out something and share it with the world? Or am I just being myself - the tireless explorer of the human landscape? I don't know....and yet it is this very feeling of not knowing that draws me in to its clutches. And so I go in.

It looks like a cave or a tunnel. An ancient one. I cannot see much, but I use my animal instincts to smell and feel my way around. It smells and feels like a cave or a tunnel. But how do I know that? Can I be sure? "It doesn't matter", I tell myself and move on. It is ok to not know and not be sure. That is the mystery that beckons me to take the next step and not stand still. For, the minute I think that I know, I would lose my need and ability to walk in the darkness. And so I go on.

Suddenly I find that I am not scared; I am not worried about feeling safe; I am in no need to hurry and get to anywhere. I quite like being in the darkness around me. I am beginning to like the cave. I want to make it my home. I want to stay there longer......just a little longer. Just then, something screeches and flies over my head. I am shaken. I want to move on again. I want to make sure that this place is really safe.

But this time, as I feel my way around, I realise that there is no light anywhere.....it is not a tunnel...there is no "light at the end of the tunnel" guarantee that I can look forward to. I cannot see ahead or behind. I can only see where I am now, through my whole being. I can no longer depend on one or two senses to understand where I am. I have to look with my whole self and yet grapple my way around. There is no one to tell me or show me the way. There is no way that is clearly marked or seen. But there is a light that shows me the way....my intuition, my sense of self, my ability to see with my being...and so I go on.

By now, I have no desire to get anywhere. I want to just be. I want to feel and be with the darkness. I want to like it and understand it by drowning in it. I want to know that I can live with it. So I sit down and close my eyes, resting my head against what feels like hard rock. Time and space have no meaning anymore. I feel expansive and light. I open my eyes...

I discover that I have been sitting in what seems like paradise! I see the countless flowers glistening in the sunlight, nodding their heads to the wind as it dances with them....I see the shadows of the trees and myself stretching across the glistening green...where did the tunnel go? I wonder. Or was it all just a playing out of my mind? I don't know.

Well, I am just happy to be where I am NOW, as I stop to breathe in the wonder, peace and light that is with me this moment....and yes, I am beginning to like the darkness too...if only I can wait until dark...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a question, thought or comment? Please share them with me....