Sunday, March 9, 2014

In the Forest

I sneak in
before the sun is up
to catch a glimpse
of your naked form,
as you shake off
the shroud of mist
on an unusually cold morn;
My lusting eyes
skim the green and brown
to steal but a moment
with your elusive charm;
To see or to not see -
that is the question;
eyes open and squirm,
as nature reveals herself
in moments of vulnerability -
a newborn langur
nuzzles its mother,
his beady eyes
dripping innocence;
a caring father
strokes his newborn and wife,
a private family moment unzipped
by flashy jeeps and keyhole eyes,
intruders are not welcome;
a stunning peacock in its prime,
bares open his chest, and
displays his flowing plume
in an extravagant dance to woo his lady,
who struts away nonchalantly;
a close-knit family of chital
prick up their ears and
dart into the bamboo thicket,
away from prying eyes and loud forms,
locking doors and closing windows,
hanging up a clear "Do Not Disturb" sign;
A part of me wishes
to melt and become one
with the misty green wilderness, and
hold them with silent love from afar;
Another part of me wants
to run away from there
and leave them alone
to their undisturbed ways;
I sit with the tugs in my heart...
Can I tear myself to pieces
so I can leave myself strewn about
in places and people that touch my heart,
until I feel and understand
what it is to truly come home?

2 comments:

  1. Loved your poem..we had visited the Jim Corbett National Park & Periyar National Park sometime back and I was so much in awe ..I never feel like coming back & feel so jealous of all the tribals and rural folks who stay near such forests!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your poem..we had visited the Jim Corbett National Park & Periyar National Park sometime back and I was so much in awe ..I never feel like coming back & feel so jealous of all the tribals and rural folks who stay near such forests!

    ReplyDelete

Do you have a question, thought or comment? Please share them with me....