Thursday, June 19, 2014

Composting, Black Gold and Soul-Food

This morning I was sieving the compost after a long time. It was hard work, especially in the summer heat. Beads of sweat poured down my face and body, and soon I was drenched in my own sweat. The sea breeze slowly set in. Soon, I found the sweat drying up. My clothes started to dry out as well. And after feeling like I was inside a furnace, I suddenly started feeling like I was in water.....so cool! The breeze was heavenly and was like balm to my tired, sweaty skin.

Some things in life are just meant to be left alone, the way they are meant to be. Life takes care of the rest and you, if you are prepared to dive into Life and surrender to the flow and rhythm.

The compost needs sieving as not all the kitchen waste decomposes at the same rate. So there are larger pieces that take longer to decompose. When I sieve the compost, the fine "tea-dust" like material, that is ready, passes through the sieve and onto the tarpaulin spread below. The larger chunks that need more time to decompose, get left behind in the sieve. I store that in a bag to use as an accelerator - I add a little bit of this already decomposing stuff to my new kitchen waste, to accelerate the process of decomposition. And so the cycle continues. The sieved compost is rich in nutrients for plants and is called Black Gold.

Composting is much like what we do in Life. We assimilate stuff (good, positive memories and energies) that we need, and use that soul-food to nourish our bodies and souls.... and what we don't need, or think we don't need (the not-so-sweet memories, pain, hurt and negative energies) is cast away in some corner of our brain as waste....something that we don't want, something that we want to put away. What we don't realise though is that it is the so-called waste that, over a period of time, with repeated turning over (remembering) and aeration (sharing or expressing) and sunlight (warmth and tender loving care), decomposes and breaks down to what we call Black Gold. It is what we put away that comes back to us to nourish us, once we decide that it is useful and leave it to the ways of nature and Life.

This Black Gold is our gift to ourselves and Mother Earth. It is our soul food. So the next time we want to purge all our negative thoughts, our pain and our hurt - all the darkness inside, let's remember to stow them away carefully and leave them to compost in the kambha of life. For they will nourish us some day, some time. What is harder to compost is what needs more care, attention and time. So put it back into your Life, for it to work on and speed up the formation of  the next lot of Black Gold!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a question, thought or comment? Please share them with me....