Friday, May 9, 2014

Hope. Faith. Love.

I had this little jasmine plant that I got from a nursery. I love the smell of jasmine flowers. It's fragrance is just perfect for my heightened sensitivities to smell. Just mild enough.

I cared for this plant, watered it with love and tenderness, gave thanks to it when it grew faster than I expected it to and flowered with just one or two full, fragrant flowers - not too many.

Some months ago, I fixed a drip irrigation system to water all my plants, while we were away on a long trip. I had hope that that would take care of my dear plants' needs. It did partly. Some survived. Some died. This jasmine plant almost died. It was completely dried up, all its leaves had turned yellow and brown and were hanging limp, yet brittle. I was heartbroken.

I tended to the plants and talked to them in silence, mourning quietly for the ones that did not survive. While I was clearing out my little balcony garden, I saw a slight tinge of green on one stem of this jasmine plant. That gave me hope. But I did not want to rest in hope and spin dreams. I decided to let it be after cutting off some branches and pulling out all the yellow leaves. I left the roots intact. I decided to water it and care for it just like my other plants. I also went to a nursery and got another jasmine plant. But it was not because I had given up hope on this one. I perhaps felt it could do with some company :) And so I let them be. I stopped dreaming of flowers and lingering fragrances. I just watched them and cared for them without asking for anything in return.

A week or ten days later, I saw the first two fluorescent green leaves on the old jasmine plant. It had survived! And then, then there was no stopping it. It seemed to grow faster than the other one that I had just got.

This morning, I was greeted by a small bunch of jasmine buds on the plant that had resolved to live. My heart felt full and complete. I did not dream that this would happen. Yet, I am also glad I did not lose hope and faith. I tended it with love and today the tiny flowers radiate a quiet, fragrant love that I feel so blessed to receive.

Hope. Faith. Love.
They can work magic. Just like the silent, unseen power of the Universe.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a question, thought or comment? Please share them with me....